We cover a wide variety of crimes here, but while we want to provide a resource for as many people as possible who have been charged with a crime, there’s no denying that certain crimes are committed much more regularly than others. Here is a list of the most common types of crimes in California, courtesy of Solana Beach defense lawyer Peter M. Liss.
- Drug charges: These are overwhelmingly the most common type of crimes committed in California. Fortunately, the number of convicts serving time for drug-related crimes has been decreasing in recent years as the state has recently legalized marijuana use (and will soon be offering legal means to sell the drug) and made many drug crimes that were previously felonies into misdemeanors.
- Assault and battery: Remember, in California, assault is the threat of violence against another person while battery involves the use of violence against someone. Both crimes can be charged as a misdemeanor of felony and a good Solana Beach criminal attorney can ensure help those charged with the crime face reduced charges.
- DUI: Driving under the influence charges affect a lot of people both because many defendants did not realize they drank enough to put them above the limit and because most people are unaware that operating a bike or boat while intoxicated is also against the law.
- Public Nuisance Ordinances: This includes charges like drunk in public, disorderly conduct, unlawful assembly and disturbing the peace.
- Theft: This includes both petty and grand theft offenses, since the difference is simply the monetary value of the stolen merchandise. In many cases, Solana Beach defense attorneys can get grand theft charges filed as misdemeanors.
- Burglary: Often believed to involve just theft, burglary does not actually involve taking something from someone, but the entering of someone else’s property for the purpose of either stealing or committing a felony crime -regardless of whether or not the theft or felony actually occurred.
- Weapons charges: These laws are incredibly complex and sometimes police do not even understand the full complexities of our state’s weapons laws. If you are accused of any kind of weapons charge, be sure to contact a Solana Beach criminal lawyer as soon as possible.
- Trespassing: Generally these are misdemeanor offenses, but if you are charged with aggravated trespass, you could face felony charges.
- Sex Crimes: These crimes can range from misdemeanor prostitution charges to felony child molestation accusations. Most sex crimes result in your addition to the sex offender registry, so if you are accused of a sex crime, please call a Solana Beach defense attorney immediately.
- Robbery: When theft involves the use of a threat or of actual force, it is a robbery. Like burglary, it does not matter if the theft is successful or not.
- Domestic Violence: Most prosecuting agencies have special divisions that handle domestic violence. Even interfering with a domestic partner’s call to the police, is considered a domestic violence crime. Threats alone can also be serious enough to be prosecuted, which is why you should never talk to the police without speaking to a lawyer first.
If you have been accused of these crimes or any others, Peter M. Liss can help. Please call (760) 643-4050 or (858) 486-3024 to schedule a free initial consultation.
Creative Commons Image Ken Lund